Texas-Style Red Potato Salad
Yield: 18 each 5 oz sides
- 5 lb. tub Reser’s Red Skin Potato Salad with Dill (71117.19510)
- ¼ cup Jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- ½ cup Jalapeño pepper canned, drained of brine and brine saved
- 2 Tbsp Jalapeño brine
Pickled Mustard Seeds
- 1 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- ¾ cup Brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup Yellow mustard seeds
- For the Pickled Mustard Seeds, whisk to combine the apple cider vinegar, water, bay leaves, sugar, brown sugar, and salt in a small saucepan. Heat until the sugar has dissolved and set aside to cool.
- Place seeds in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then drain through a fine-mesh strainer and discard the water. Repeat the process several times until the discarded water does not taste bitter.
- Transfer the blanched mustard seeds to the pot with the brine. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a bare simmer and cook until the seeds have plumped up and the liquid has reduced by about one-third, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the seeds to a sealable container, let cool at room temperature. Once cooled, label and refrigerate.
- For the Potato Salad, combine the Reser’s Red Skin Potato Salad with Dill with the diced fresh and canned jalapeño pepper and the pepper brine in a large metal bowl. Fold together to combine.
- Fill into a container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Portion onto a plate and garnish with the 1 Tbsp pickled mustard seeds. Serve with smoked beef sausage.