African Sweet Potato Soup
Yield: 16 each 5 oz servings
- 5 lb. Reser’s® Special Request ™ All Natural Mashed Sweet Potatoes (71117.94504)
- 2 Tbsp Ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup Canola oil
- 2 Tbsp Berbere spice
- 1 each 14 oz can Diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 cups Vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Peanuts, dry roasted
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 cups Peanuts, dry roasted and lightly pulsed in food processor
- 1 cup Cilantro, roughly chopped
- In a heavy-bottomed 8-quart stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the ginger and cook to soften without browning, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the Berbere spice and lightly toast, 20-30 seconds stirring constantly.
- Add the canned tomatoes, stock, Reser’s Special Request All Natural Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and peanuts. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook on a low simmer for 15-20 minutes until the soup has thickened and peanuts have softened.
- Take off heat and puree with an immersion blender.
- Taste and season with kosher salt as need.
- To serve, place an 8 oz ladle into a bowl and top with crushed peanuts and cilantro.